Mainstream Y1 – Y6 classes
|Key Stage 1||Key Stage 2|
|9.20||Guided Reading||9.20||Guided Reading|
- Monday – Headteacher Assembly
- Tuesday – Assembly led by a member of the Leadership Team
- Wednesday – Phase/Singing Assembly
- Thursday – Class Assembly
- Friday – Celebration Assembly
- A daily literacy lesson of 1 hour, with one lesson per week focusing on reading comprehension and spellings
- Guided Reading 5x per week
- Phonics 4x per week in Y1/2
- 1 taught handwriting session of 20 minutes in KS1 (phonics slot) and 30 minutes in KS2 (guided reading slot if possible – depending on size of class), otherwise timetabled elsewhere
- Creative Literacy Games happen for 15 minutes straight after lunch
- A daily maths lesson of 1 hour including:
- regular mental/oral starters addressing counting, mental maths and learn-at-home targets as well as gaps in knowledge identified through formative assessment
- times tables tests
- use of Testbase questions
- mental maths tests and mental maths strategies development
- regular maths investigations
- Science taught discretely outside the Topic for 1½ – 1¾ hours per week through a predominantly investigative approach, if possible linked to topic unit
- Topic taught over 2½ – 3½ hours per week (the amount of topic taught will be lower when children are taking part in swimming and/or music tuition)
- Taught in half-termly units
- Includes history, geography, I.T., art, D&T, R.E. music and P.S.H.E.
- Lessons linked to curriculum drivers Aspiration, Collaboration, Creativity and Resilience are also taught
- Allocated slot in computing suite to develop skills (particularly coding skills) – once weekly for 1 hour.
- Computing used cross-curricular to enhance children’s learning.
- 1¾ hours of PE weekly
- Swimming counts as the children’s full PE allocation.
- Included in some units of topic
- Certain year groups will receive addition whole class music tuition for an hour a week and this additional time is taken away from topic
- Teaching and learning of music also happens through school concerts and festivals
- Once per week for the last session on a Friday afternoon.