What is the LCR at Robert Blair Primary School?
The Language and Communication Resource Base (LCR) is a provision for children who have diagnosed speech, language and communication disorders.
What does it offer?
- High staffing levels with staff specialised in supporting children with language and communication needs
- Regular access to speech & language therapy
- Small groups
- The opportunity to be part of a mainstream school environment
- Access to National Curriculum strategies, modified to meet individual needs
- Consistent use of Makaton signing, cued articulation and visuals to support learning
How is it organised?
The children who attend the LCR are on roll in their age appropriate mainstream class. They are withdrawn for specialist support for all or part of each morning. The children are divided into two groups:
- Reception to Year 2 (LCR1)
- Year 3 to Year 6 (LCR2)
Each group has a class teacher and two teaching assistants and access to a speech and language therapist and an assistant.
Applications are made through the London Borough of Islington and open to all children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which identifies Language and Communication as the primary need. Families and practitioners are encouraged to visit by contacting the school to book an appointment.